- SF Examiner file photo
- George Gascón will now release the findings of his office's investigations into office-involved shootings.
Investigations into officer-involved shootings in San Francisco are about to become more transparent, after District Attorney George Gascón said Thursday that he will begin publicly releasing reports on probes by his office.
The reports, which will be made available upon request, will detail the rationale for the findings of the District Attorney’s Office after its investigations into police shootings, Gascón said during a media event Thursday.
Gascón said there is a need for more transparency after recent officer-involved shootings drew public outrage.
One example involved BART police officers who shot and killed 45-year-old transient Charles Hill at the Civic Center station July 3. Some believe Hill, who threw a small, fold-out knife that missed an officer, was shot dead after the immediate threat of harm had already passed.
The DA’s investigations, which are independent of the Police Department’s internal probe, will be sent to top cops and the officers involved after investigations, which could take anywhere from six months to a year after an incident, Gascón said.