News » Neighborhoods

Mission fire sparked by lamp that ignited window drape

by

comment

A fire that displaced five people from a home in San Francisco’s Mission district on Monday night was sparked by a lamp that was sitting too close to a window drape, a fire department spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The one-alarm fire was reported at about 10:25 p.m. at 1454 Alabama St., between Cesar Chavez and 26th streets, fire Lt. Mindy Talmadge said.

The flames were extinguished by 10:40 p.m., Talmadge said.

Four adults and a child were displaced by the blaze, which caused about $27,000 in damage — $18,000 to the structure and $9,000 to its contents, according to Talmadge.

Talmadge said it appears that a tall floor lamp was too close to the window covering and lit it on fire.